|Skirts for summer: Burda 03-2010-123 (beige) and Burda 02-2014-109 (purple)|
|Burda image of the skirt I wanted & technical image Burda 03-2010-123|
|Front, back and inside view of Burda 03-2010-123. I swear the front looks better normally :(|
Fabric costs were around £3.25, plus a £1 zip, plus ribbon for the hem, which I have no recollection of the price, plus overheads, so probably around £5-6? Ish? Not very much, anyway, for a skirt I'll probably wear loads. I really like this pattern too, so even though I went all round the houses trying to get it, it's probably been worth it.
This was my first attempt at a fly front and it's... not great? But it's also not TERRIBLE, so I don't know really how I feel about it overall. Honestly, I could not make ANY SENSE AT ALL of the Burda directions, not helped by the fact that unfortunately, despite all of my extensive education, I struggle to remember which is my left and which is my right. The Burda instructions were all like "line up the reverse right side of the zip with the left side of the right facing" and my eyes were rolling back in my head. The only way that kind of sentence could be worse for me is if someone yelled it at me (hence: any exercise class, like aerobics, where people shout directions at you, is my idea of hell). Luckily, I found a couple of good illustrated descriptions in my sewing reference books and figured it out, but yeesh.
My second summer skirt I've talked about before in one of my posts about planned makes: Burda 02-2014-109. Also a fly front
|Burda 02-2014-109, front, inside and the funky pocket lining I used|
At first all the sewing went well, although I wasn't entirely convinced by the yoke as I couldn't for love or money get it to line up right at the centre seam. After three attempts, I gave up and decided I could live with it. Then I gave up for the day, got up the next morning and did the fly front. I sort of thought it would be easier to do my second fly, but no, it was not at all easier. In fact, it's a complete mess! It doesn't look TOO horrendous but it took like fifteen attempts and doesn't hold up to close scrutiny at all.
And then I went to put on the waistband, and discovered that my stretchy fabric had either stretched out horribly or the waistband had always been the wrong size, and it was now never going to work. The waistband was actually the right size for my body, and moreover, see above: I had nothing left but scraps. So recutting it was out. I tried easing in the back but there was just too much fabric and I ended up with a huge bubble of excess fabric above my butt. I tried darts and they looked terrible. In the end, I took a MASSIVE wedge out of the centre back seam and lived with even more of a mess from a matching perspecting at the centre yoke seam. Ugh. Then I realized that on my last attempt I had sewn the waistband on wrong and had to hurriedly improvise with some bias binding to conceal the raw edges. Double ugh!
In the end, the whole waist and hip ended up kind of a mess and does not have the best of fit either. I will get definitely some wear out of it with tops that are untucked, but it's not my favourite outcome. I'm not sure if it was the stretchy fabric or the fit of the pattern that was the problem. I also have the Grainline Moss Mini which is a similar pattern and which I might try another time when I want a skirt that is this shape. I think though I might also take a break from fly fronts for a while, because they're really a struggle.