In the end I went with a resounding nope! on the Lekala pattern, and then immediately pulled out my original list of coat pattern possibilities. Top of the list was Burda 02-2009-133, and I duly got on with tracing it out on Wednesday evening and Thursday.
|Burda 02-2009-133, images from Burdastyle.com|
OK, I admit it's not the most exciting coat in the world when seen on the mannequin but the pattern met my requirements in that it's a straightforward sew with some nice little details like the splits at the side and wide sleeve facings so you can wear the cuffs folded back. Also, not that it's ever a good indicator what with all the pinning of garments and airbrushing that Burda does to the models, but I really like how the coat looks in the modelled shot.
This is a Plus pattern (size 44 to 52) and I am working from pretty much a straight 44 with just a few adjustments. Just to check that nothing was going too wrong, I went ahead and made a super quick and dirty upper bodice and one sleeve only muslin:
On Friday I cut out my outer shell fabric, and on Saturday I fused interfacing for what felt like hours, ugh, one of my least favourite jobs. That left me all ready for a Sunday of Epic Sewing (with Occasional Laundry Interludes, since housework does not go away just because you want to sew all day), and here is where I got to:
|Burda 02-2009-133: outer shell complete (no lining, buttons, and the hem is still down)|
So far I absolutely LOVE it! I'm optimistic about the likely finished fit, the pattern went together beautifully, the fabric is ultra easy to work with, and all is happiness and joy, in short. Let's hope that the horror of working with a slippery lining fabric doesn't take the shine off!