Friday 20 June 2014

Let's talk Mini-Wardrobe, for real!

The rules went up for the mini-wardrobe competition yesterday! I was immediately sent into a flap because this year it's FIVE items, one of which can be a "wearable accessory" like a scarf or whatever, and it has to make up 6 outfits. I had been banking on it being 4 and 4 outfits again, so I had to revise my half-baked plans. If "wearable accessory" had included a bag I'd have been golden, but it's specifically excluded.

I actually have so many additional constraints it's kind of ludicrous. I'm packing for an international move mid-July. I'm trying not to spend money unduly. I'm too sick at the moment to go into the city and fabric shop. I'm trying to fabric fast and use up things I already own. I'm trying to write my PhD any time I am not sick. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS. And yet, somehow I will probably end up doing it.

ANYWAY, all revelations of my idiocy aside, here is version 1.0 of my plan:


Ha, this is why I'd never win a competition. Have you ever seen a more boring set of patterns? I don't care though, I am not in it to win.

The skirt should be easy -- I've never made this particular pattern but I've made enough Ottobre skirts up to know it'll fit. The Ottobre top is, of course, just a minor variation on a theme of my absolute favourite made-it-8-times-already, no really, Ottobre 02-2013-02 top. The Wiksten Tank is a pattern I've had in stash a while now. It should be straightforward once I figure out the bust fit. This is the thing I added in response to the 5th item, and the only thing I haven't quite figured out is HOW I want to colour-block it, although I have some ideas. And the Carme, of course, I've talked about a couple of time already. Big first for me because I've never made a shirt, a collar, cuffs, blah blah blah, but I am not particularly worried about any of that. (I may live to regret saying that, of course....)

The big unknown is the shorts, since I've never made anything trouser-like that is more fitted than PJ shorts before and have no idea if I'll get anything like a reasonable fit from the Ottobre pattern. I'm going to muslin them this weekend so I can see if it's workable without EPIC fitting work. If it isn't, I'll swap in... something. (????)

TELL ME YOUR PLANS. :D Anything I've thought of so far is totally subject to change at a moment's notice. I ALSO have a sort of secondary option of doing a whole blue/green mini-wardrobe, but I can't do it all from stash so I would prefer this white/black thing if I can pull it off. Also I need a better name, but I can't think of one.

8 comments:

  1. LOVE it! I am typing my blog post as we "speak"!

    That linen is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Look forward to seeing your blog post then! :D

      My linen is so fancy! I broke my fabric fast for it this month, shhhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

      Delete
  2. It's a great, functional summer wardrobe. Even if you don't "win" a prize, you still win by having six new outfits.

    I was thinking about entering this myself and using it as an excuse to knock out a chunk of my 12-piece capsule wardrobe that was one of my sewing goals for the year (that I've since stalled on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! :D All the things on my list are things that I genuinely want or need except maybe the tank top, and that I am going to make with leftover fabric from other things I am making, so no real investment AND I get to work on a pattern I've wanted to use for a while.

      Actually, I am already thrilled with the outcome of this contest because I've been working up a shorts muslin all evening and it's gone amazingly well for something I was so worried about!

      Delete
  3. I think your plan looks great, and I'm super interested to see how your Carme blouse turns out. Also, thanks for the reminder that this contest is coming up; it was such a fun challenge the last (and first) time I participated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have you any ideas for your wardrobe yet, or still thinking about it?

      Delete
    2. Right now I need motivation to get back in the sewing room, and thankfully you've brought my attention to this contest while I could still potentially muslin my makes before needing to start officially sewing.

      Basically, there's no reason for me not to do it. I have time to sew and even to prep for sewing. My goal is to have a plan set by the end of this week! YAY!

      Delete
    3. Yay! Look forward to seeing your plan then! :D

      Delete