Monday 1 June 2015

Ugh

At the end of last month I was all yay, I am feeling really well again! and I was all about the Big Plans for the summer. Alas, I jinxed myself. I relapsed again mid-May and have been struggling to get well enough to do more than creep pathetically around my house ever since. Luckily it was only a mini-relapse, or I caught it quickly, or some combination of the two. I am already pain-free again and starting to feel better, though I am only up and about in the morning as the side effects of my medication wipe out my afternoons, yuck. The relapse totally ruined my May sewing schedule, my optimistic hope of making a really dent in my fabric stash this summer, and other best laid plans of mice and men. On the plus side, I only bought 1m of fabric this month and used almost 6m. I know, I know, I oughtn't to have even bought 1m, but it was so fabulously ridiculous (elephants!) and only £3 for 1m, that I had to have it. It's cotton voile and apparently ex-Zara and I have no idea what to make with it, which is the WORST kind of stashing.

Cotton voile elephants
If you could see the weather outside you'd understand the other reason for my summer sewing apathy - it's about 12C (54F), raining, and blowing a gale out there. Although, to be fair, this is one of the nastier days we've had recently, May was definitely not anything like summery. Hard to get enthusiastic about summer clothes when you're still wearing a fleecy jumper around the house to keep warm. Apparently it is going to start getting better this week though, so fingers crossed the sun comes out and re-invigorates my interest in my summer plans.

All that said, and health, weather and other nuisances permitting, my sewing plans this month are:
  • Finish up that New Look 6407 shirt I was working on when I got sick. I'm really not sure at all that it's going to work out, but I feel like I ought to persevere a little bit longer with it.
  • I have a couple of other woven summer tops in mind - I may bravely cut into my favourite checked shirtweight linen this month.
  • The maxi skirt of epic fabric consumption. It needs 3m of fashion fabric, 3m of lining!
  • If I have time and the weather seems propitious, an easy summer dress (or two).

6 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear that you got hit with another relapse of your illness. I can only guess how frustrating that must be.

    Don't you have an Ottobre woven tee in your pattern aresenal, if I remember correctly? Use your elephant cotton voile for that, and if you don't have enough meterage, do contrast sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have that tee pattern, but I think the elephant fabric is maybe a touch too crisp for it. The two I've made so far have both been drapey and I do think the pattern is better with those.

      Delete
  2. I like Michelle's suggestion a lot!

    Feel better soon!!!! Hopefully June brings some serious sunshine and stashbusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm definitely thinking something light and summery, but the fabric is maybe too crisp for that tee pattern.

      Delete
    2. Ah-ha. Hmmm...maybe you can find a solid color to work with it!

      Delete
  3. Awww boo. Feel better you!!

    Alas, there is no such thing as "worst kind of stashing!"

    ReplyDelete